Not so Cheerful



 It’s that time of year again. Time to deck the halls & be jolly, or so the saying goes.  Every year I have to force myself into the joy.  Each holiday season comes and goes & I celebrate on New Year’s Eve that I made it through another year.  This year Issac is old enough to start to understand what is happening around him, so I think we’ll get a Christmas tree before December 20th this year!  I have even already started to get our Christmas cards together, watched a couple holiday kid movies & even took out a few winter decorations.  BUT I’m internally fighting it, but my brain knows it is here, EVERYONE is on fb talking about that fat jolly man Santa. So now I must face the fact that the holiday season is in full swing, on TV, at the stores and even in our conversations.

 I haven’t always been a Grinch.   As a young child, my Mother & my family celebrated the holiday season with a variety of yearly traditions.  Although I successfully “fake-it” each year, and few around me can see the difficulties in my eyes, I must find it in me, a way to truly “find the season’s joys”.  .  Because I am now a Mother, I believe that I must “shake it off”.  So Tyler and I have begun to discuss what we like, dislike, dread & hate about the holiday season.  So here is what I consider to be the top ten downers of the holiday season. 

1)      Seasonal flavors- I’ll start off simple.  I am not nor have I ever been a peppermint fan. I enjoy every other flavor in the mint family but peppermint is just not for me.  Eggnog is great in a latte but again, a big ice cold glass of the stuff doesn’t hit my mouth, just simply not for me. 

2)      Snow- Okay I fully understand that in some parts of the world snow comes in July or even in before Halloween as a friend in Denver & another in Wyoming posted on FB.  However, I live in the shadow of the Space Needle called; Seattle.  So although we had snow before Thanksgiving last year, it is not a yearly thing.   I’m already sick of all the snow talk!!! When it comes, it comes. Have your house prepared for the winter weather & you won’t be caught at Safeway buying the last $10 flashlight.

3)      Music-  I love Christmas music too. However, every store you go into and every radio channel and TV station features a mixture of classical, religious and updated holiday tunes. If I could play Christmas Music, in my car or house when I wanted instead of having it shoved down my throat (or ears) every time I pump my gas (yes the 76 near my house has music outside) then I love Christmas Music too.  Not to make people think that I don’t enjoy a lil Warm 106.9 after thanksgiving.  I also love my old Mariah before tech-tone Christmas CD & my holiday classic CDs that feature Elvis and Bing Crosby.  But let us seriously agree on one thing: the Hanson holiday remakes from 1997 should be banned from the radio wavesà FOREVER! 

4)      Decorations-      When I was little we would pile into my Grandma’s car with hot chocolate and cookies at least twice during the month of December.  Why? To drive around for hours on end looking at the houses decorated with Christmas lights.  Full neighborhoods would be decked out, lines of cars driving slowly with just their parking lights on (yes cars use to have this option).  My Grandma would lead us as we sang holiday songs the entire night (see I DO like the music).

5)      Baked Goods-   If you have ever been to my house on Sunday night, known as dessert night, then you know I love baked goods. Especially anything chocolate.  But around the holidays people that can’t follow a Betty Crocker’s just add eggs & water recipe suddenly decided to bake instead of distributing cards or gifts.  Everyone feels like if they’re offered to eat something or take something home, we do it to be kind.  But I hate over cooked and dried baked goods, not to mention the not so fun fruitcakes.  I will admit, most anything chocolate does get consumed, but some does get tossed too. Or  I have often given these items to my neighbors or friends, maybe even said “yes” when asked if I made them ;)

6)      Gifts-     I would like to consider myself a thoughtful gift giver.  It’s true we are not wealthy folks but I put a tremendous amount of time and thought in to what I give people as gifts. Wedding gifts, birthday gifts and Christmas gifts alike.  I am a TRUE BELIEVER in the old saying, “It’s the thought that matters”.  However, I am completely put off year after year by not seeing the toys I have purchased when I visit someone’s house or by how little time people put into buying gifts for others.  Seriously, I understand a budget but get crafty or shop at a discount retailer.   Don’t give people previously viewed DVD’s or second hand clothes.

7)      Christmas Christians- I’m not talking about those of you who practice religion year round. I’m talking about the people who “find God” when the Halloween candy runs out but “looses God” on their way to get drunk on New Year’s Eve.   These people drive me nuts, it’s like they are only in it for themselves.  I myself haven’t been a member of a church congregation in many, many moons, but I have enough of an understanding and respect those that are active religious believers to not pretend to be something I’m not.  So excuse me if I’m not yet buying into your new found religion. 

8)      Trees-   Fake trees drive me nuts. I get they can be easy & work great for those with allergies.  However, most are made of un-recyclable materials and end up in landfills.  Also, it is actually environmentally friendly to purchase a fresh cut trees because tree-lings release more oxygen into the environment that adult trees.  Cutting down a tree each year is a tradition we DO want to have for our children. Last year Josie was fresh out of the NICU so we left her in the infant carrier & quickly choose a tree. This year I plan to make it a day long activity.    When I was a child we would go out to a tree farm and my mom would find the most ridiculously large tree. Then we would spend the afternoon cutting off branches to fit it inside our door.  It was a daily task each year that I look forward to.  The year my brother died, we came home from the hospital & my Mom picked up the tree & tossed it out the front door in to the cold. Just like that. The strings of lights, the tree stand & years of family ordainments out the door right along with the tree.  It was years before we had a Christmas tree again.  

9)      Depression- More people suffer from Holiday depression then people realize.  Each year my Mom hits her “holiday blues”.  I let her leave a voicemail when she calls, so I can check to see where her mindset is before I call her back.  It is cruel some of the things people say. YES, ,my brother died 20 years ago but without talking about it my mom will never move on 7 she doesn’t feel very comfortable discussing the subject with many. 

10)   December 28th- Ya, I know that the holidays are almost over & most people spend the day returning gifts, eating leftovers and using up gift cards.  Not for me.  This year marks another year since my Brother Shawn died in 1991.  This year is a big one, twenty years.  I was only 10 years old when my brother passed but I can remember everything like it was yesterday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Issac's TMNT Birthday

Summer 2018

University of Washington Tacoma Graduation