Issac's Preschool Graduation




Last fall we joined a cooperative preschool.  The Darcy Read Memorial Cooperative Preschool in Des Moines.  It is about an 11 minutes drive each way so driving “a town over” is not a big deal. We put Issac in the 4’s/Pre-K class that meets three days a week.  Cooperative preschools are non-profits operated by the parents under the guidance of teachers.  Tyler & I choose this environment for our children because we wanted to be involved in our children’s educations.  As well, I am a stay at home Mom so I wanted Issac to get used to the classroom environment, taking direction from other adults and learn to operate in a group setting. 
I blogged about Issac’s first day. It was tough for me to let go, but I did.  Then, I blogged about the awesome time we had on the preschool’s annual trip to the pumpkin patch & celebrating Halloween with his class. We were grateful to have Grandpa Brad & Grandma Shannon jin us at the preschool's auction in December. His class also had a fun Valentines Day party.  Issac was even able to play Soccer with three of his classmates. We enjoyed class trips to the park & the beach.  We loved the Spring Fling & Mother's Day Tea.  The entire year was jammed pack full of fun and exciting memories.

But what I haven’t blogged about it what an amazing experience I have had getting to know new families and creating new friendships.  Co-op preschools are a blend of unique families that all want to be involved in their child’s education.  Because we all take turns volunteering in the classroom and bringing snacks the kids are introduced to different cultures, different foods and different ways to address and solve problems. 
I also haven’t taken the time to blog about the growth Issac & I experienced this year.  I was able to be an eye witness and enjoy watching as Issac interacted with his classmates and teacher.  I found joy in watching Issac develop social skills and displayed compassion to his classmates. I enjoyed watching Issac experience new crafts & memorize silly bubble gum songs.  My heart beamed as he looked up to me grinning ear to ear after he wrote his first and last name for the first time as he signed himself in.  I loved witnessing the multiple ways that his teacher used to teach each individual child in a unique way.
 But what I am most grateful for is that I learned to appreciate my child in a new light.  Those quirks that used to drive me crazy I am able to accept & find their value.  I see Issac differently.  I do see the rambunctious energy filled stick caring boy that everyone else sees.  But I also see this astonishing passionate and caring soul in his five year old body.  Issac cares for people & animals in a way I cannot explain.  It is truly a gift inside him that can only be understood once witnessed.  And the love he has for his sister in remarkable and simply makes me proud.  I find myself amazed by Issac, when he slows down and clarifies himself; I always see the light. 
 So I held back the tears as my number one, my boo, my first born graduated preschool.  It was Thursday May 29th.  I took Issac in my car to school.  Tyler & Josie went in his car so that they could stop to get balloons and such for the big graduate.  All the parents brought something for lunch buffet and every child got a certificate, a picture with the teacher & a personalized scrapbook of the year made by their parent.  The kids enjoyed the celebration and filled up on goodies and picture taking.  It was a perfect end and celebration to a great year.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Issac's TMNT Birthday

Summer 2018

University of Washington Tacoma Graduation